A recipe worth sharing: Shrimp, Chorizo & Corn Salad
Wow. We were right!
When we saw this recipe in our Cooking Light Magazine, we were intrigued. We love shrimp, and we know that a small amount of Spanish chorizo can go a long way toward adding robust flavor. Other favorite ingredients were also listed: sriracha, basil, green onion, garlic and lemon juice. This dish was begging to be made.
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Stylist: Cindy Barr
As is nearly ALWAYS the case, we tweaked the recipe a little to make it easier and well, just because! Rozanne Gold, a chef, food consultant and journalist, is the creator. Kudos to Rozanne!
Our Athletic-Minded "tweaks" are in parentheses.
Shrimp, Chorizo, and Corn Salad (Serves 4)
Prepping the ingredients takes 10-15 minutes, and dinner is on the table in less than 20.
- 12 ounces large shrimp, peeled (We used 16 oz, because that is what we had.)
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (We used Trader Joe's roasted corn from the frozen section.)
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Sriracha
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (We used 3 frozen garlic cubes from Dorot)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 3/4 ounces thinly sliced Spanish chorizo sausage (We used 1 1/4 ounces -- plenty -- purchased at Whole Foods.)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves, divided
- 12 red grape tomatoes, halved and divided (24 halves total)
- 12 yellow teardrop tomatoes, halved and divided (24 halves total)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind (We skipped it.)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1. Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl. Add 1/4 cup chopped basil, 12 red tomato halves, and 12 yellow tomato halves; toss shrimp mixture gently to combine.
2. Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add shrimp mixture to pan, and cook for 4-8 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, stirring frequently. Place about 1 1/2 cups shrimp mixture in each of 4 shallow bowls, and sprinkle each serving with 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind, 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice, 6 tomato halves, and 1 tablespoon chopped basil.