Quinoa recipe that everyone will love
You can now follow Athletic-Minded Traveler on Twitter! Our moniker is @healthytravel. We will keep you up to date (and sometimes even entertained) on all things active and healthy. Today, @WeightNoMoreDC tweeted about quinoa and we let her know that we had a great recipe for the amino-acid rich protein.
We like this recipe because it is flavorful, looks good, and gets rave reviews!
Why Quinoa? Not only is it one of the ONLY grains that is a complete protein (like milk), but ONE serving packs:
- Nearly 50% DV of Manganese
- Over 20% for Magnesium & Iron
- Close to 20% for Tryptophan, Copper and Phoserphous
- 10% for B2 (Riboflavin) and Vitamin E
- 5.5 grams of protein
- 2.5 grams of fiber
- and, it is gluten free
All of this for ONE Serving -- only 160 calories UNCOOKED -- ** (1/4 C uncooked will yield about 3/4 C cooked)
Quinoa with Basil Lime Dressing
• ½ C loosely packed fresh basil leaves
• ½ C fresh lime juice
• 1 T honey
• 1 T extra virgin olive oil
• 1 tsp sriracha chili sauce (or more to taste)
• 2 garlic cloves minced
• Salt to taste
Combine all ingredients in a food processor until smooth
• 1 C red or white quinoa rinsed
• 2 C water
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 large ripe mango, peeled, seeded and diced large (You can use jarred mango.)
• 1 ear white corn grilled to mark well and cut from cob (OR use 2/3 C Trader Joe’s frozen charred corn)
• 2 Roma tomatoes, washed, cored and diced
• 4 green onions, washed, root end removed, thinly sliced
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine water, quinoa and salt. Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove lid and fluff with fork. Set aside to cool
2. In a bowl combine cooled quinoa, and remaining ingredients (mango, corn, tomatoes and green onion).
3. Add dressing and mix well.
Refrigerate until ready to serve. Can make up to 8 hours in advance.