What a slow-cooker recipe should be: EASY, YUMMY & HEALTHY
I guess we were the last to know. This recipe is all over the web and I can NOW understand why. It's criminally easy, healthy and really good!
*Photo courtesy of Chicagoist.com which also lists this recipe!
If you enjoy bbq pulled pork sandwiches -- or the tender, shredded meat a top your favorite salad, this is a MUST make recipe. And remember, for a red meat, pork tenderloin is super sensible. Read our past post "Pig versus Chicken."
- 2 lbs worth of pork tenderloin (We used 2 pieces of meat, each about 1.2 lbs)
- 12-16 oz Root Beer (We used A&W)
- Barbeque Sauce (We used TJ's all natural BBQ Sauce with a "kick". And we also used Gayle's Extra Sassy Barbecue Sauce from Whole Foods. Both sauces are low-calorie, about 40 per 2 tablespoons. We thinned out the TJ's sauce with apple cider vinegar).
- Slow Cooker (We have a Hamilton Beach and used the medium sized bowl, 6 quarts)
- Trim the big piece of muscle/fat off each tenderloin. Use scissors. It's quicker.
- Put tenderloin in slow cooker
- Pour in Root Beer
- Cook on low 6 to 7 hours
- Once done, remove from juices, and shred. It will shred so easily. I used my hands
- Mix in the BBQ sauce. We went light and then topped with more when we ate it later.
That is it!!!